Friday, March 21, 2014

Nerd vs Free Spirit

I have long considered myself a free spirit.  Those who know me would well concur.  I set my own pace to life, generally stray from the pack, and do my own thing to my own tune, dancing along the way.  I even have the t-shirt.  You can imagine how shocked I was to recently discover that I am actually a nerd.  Yup.  Fully so.  Scored 100% on the nerd test and everything.  How is this possible?

You see, hubs and I are in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, and he believes all people are either Nerds or Free Spirits, or on some continuum between the two when it comes to money and how we deal with it.  There is a quiz to see where you fall to help you figure out what your role is and how to play off each other's strengths, and to balance each other's weaknesses. Without hesitation I was straight down the line full on Nerd.  Wow!  It is true though.  I LOVE balancing the checkbook.  I get a sort of giddy delight when everything balances out the zero.  I like to be right and I like to be perfect and I like to be in control, traits that can be hard to manage in life, but apparently come in quite handy when it comes to mundane things like budgeting.  I say mundane a little jokingly here, apparently most people don't like the "B word".  Did I mention I love spreadsheets, too?  Columns, sums, color coded areas.... mmmm, almost as good as a hot cup of coffee on a cold morning, or any morning for that matter.  = )

Ok, so I'm a Nerd, big deal.  It gets crazier.  My husband, the tie wearing business man financial advisor who loves analyzing and researching things with names like "prospectus" (eeewwww), he, HE is a Free Spirit!  I know, totally nuts, right?!  Surprised us both.  But here again, we see deep truth.  At our home, I am the one who keeps the checkbook, I check our bank balance and manage the upcoming bills, I make and relish in the budget spreadsheet and email him the "everything's good" report.  And here's the great thing: he is grateful for it.  You see, he has his hands full with running his business, helping families realize their financial goals and dreams.  He is an amazing big picture person.  He takes care of our long-term needs like making sure our family is protected with proper life and health insurance coverage, and putting plans in place for college and retirement.  He helps me to dream big, to let go a little and enjoy the moment, to splurge on little treats every once in a while.  And I am grateful to him for those things and the balance he brings to our marriage.

So, at the end of the day, I am happy to say, that overall, I am a Free Spirited Nerd, or a Nerdy Free Spirit, seeking the balance that makes life work, staying present in the moment while ever striving for the best.  Whoever you are, Nerd or Free Spirit or somewhere in between, rejoice, celebrate your strengths, and find someone in life to balance you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment