"12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God."
Who doesn't love tacos? Today I have a sure to please and easy to customize taco recipe for your eating enjoyment! With variations for chicken tacos or beef tacos, children's tacos, taco salad, or mondo big daddy tacos, this simple recipe can easily accommodate the whole family or dinner party, all from one basic recipe! Enjoy!
What's your favorite way to eat a taco?
Country Mama Hippie Chic
AKA Brandi Schunk
Simple Tacos for a Child's plate
Taco Salad for Mom's plate
Mondo Open Face Tacos for Dad's plate
Beef or Chicken Tacos
· 1 Pound Ground Beef or Chicken (Ground, Cubed, or Shredded)
· ½ Yellow Onion, diced
· ½ Green Bell Pepper, diced (optional)
· ½ Red Bell Pepper, diced (optional)
· 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
· ½ tsp Celtic Sea Salt
· ¼ tsp Chili Powder
· ¼ tsp Onion Powder
· ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
· ¼ tsp Garlic Salt
· 1/8 tsp Paprika
· 1/8 tsp Cumin
· 1/8 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper Medley
· Cayenne (just a tiny dash or leave off altogether if cooking for young ones)
· ¼ C Filtered Water
· 12-14 Corn Tortillas
· 1-2 C Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
· ½ Head of Lettuce, shredded (Red Leaf, Green Leaf, Romaine or Iceberg)
· 3-4 Avocados, diced
· 2-3 Tomatoes, diced (Roma, Grape, Heirloom, or any variety)
· Salsa to taste
· Sour Cream to taste
Pre-heat 8-10” cast iron skillet over medium heat. When pan is warmed add ground beef or chicken. Cook meat until done, stirring regularly.
While meat cooks, mix together Celtic Sea Salt, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Garlic Salt, Paprika, Cumin, Fresh Ground Pepper Medley and Cayenne in a cup with about ¼ cup Filtered Water and then set aside.
When meat is nearly all cooked, add diced Onion, diced Bell Pepper, and minced Garlic. Continue cooking and stirring frequently until all meat is cooked thoroughly. Remove from heat and drain fat off meat if there is any. Return to heat and stir seasoning and water mix into meat. Cook on low to medium heat for another 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until all moisture has been absorbed. Set aside with a lid to keep it warm.
In separate skillet (while meat is still cooking), heat tortillas on low to medium heat, 1-2 minutes each side, and set them aside in a tortilla warmer.
Set up your taco station setting out all prepped ingredients in small bowls in one area for ease of access. Assemble tacos just before serving. Alternatively, you could place all prepped ingredients on the table and allow everyone to build their own tacos as they go.
Taco fillers can include seasoned taco meat, Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, Lettuce, Avocados, Tomatoes, Salsa, Sour Cream or anything else you like to add to tacos.
· Serve as a salad instead, piling all taco fillers atop a bed of your favorite fresh lettuce or spinach.
· Top with Shredded cabbage
· Top with Shredded Brussels sprouts (uncooked)
· Top with Jalapeños, or sauté them with the meat
· Top with Hot Sauce, or add to the meat when sautéing
· Use Sprouted Corn Tortillas for extra crispness and nutritional punch!